What business are you really in?
You will have heard me talk about my client in Taranaki who took up the challenge to answer the question “What business am I really in”. Dick owned an earthmoving company and after talking to his customers he realised that he was not in the business of earth moving, he was in the business of creating profitable, sustainable land for his farming customers.
Its very simple. You are not in the business of selling a product or service, you are in the business of solving a problem, selling a feeling, a desired state, an outcome.
It is surprising the number of business founders who are unsure what business they are really in, even though they work in that business every day.
- You always define your business from the point of view of your customer.
- You always define your business in terms of what your product or services will do for your customer.
- What effect does your product or service have in the lives and work of your customers.
- What are the specific benefits that your customers enjoy from using your product or service?
- How do you improve the lives and work of your customers with what you do with your Products and services?
Technology may change, competitors may come and go, but when it comes down to it, the business you are really in should stay constant.
Your Mission Should You Choose To Accept It Is To.
Describe your business without mentioning your product, company, or service by defining what you do rather than who you are.
Get this right and it will change the way your market your company, will change the way you talk about your business and it will allow you to grow your business faster, make more money and ultimately serve more people.
To your Business Success.
PS: Whenever you are ready… here are 3 ways I can help you grow your business.
- Join the Unleashed Biz Bites Facebook Community. Where smart Business Founders learn how to go from low growth to profit breakthrough. https://www.facebook.com/groups/unleashedbizbites
- Join my 5 week UnleashYourBusiness/Masterclass in March. Stay tuned for details. If you would like to jump start your business and work with me on your Business Road map, just send me a message with words ‘RoadMap’.
- Work with me privately. If you are in 1st gear, but it’s all uphill and would like to work directly with me and my team to learn how to get off the never ending hamster wheel, stop struggling, and run your business so that it will deliver consistent results … just send me a message with the word “Private” …. Tell me a little about your business and what you would like to work on together and I will get you all the details!